Monday, January 4, 2016

Worse than a Break Up. 1/4/16

Happy New Year Friends and Family!

I am rounding on 3 months out in the field and I am just astounded. How has time gone by that fast?? I am grateful that I beginning to lose myself in this work. There are so many wonderful things about missionary work that I simply can't describe them all. As I have come to love the people and this work more, people's agency has a greater affect on me as well. And this week we certainly had a few downer moments. 

Worse than a Break Up... It has to be! 
Hermana Bjork and I began teaching an adorable couple in their 50's about a month ago. They received the message of the restoration with excitement and agreed wholeheartedly to every thing we taught. I was overjoyed because I could literally see Rosa as a Relief Society President and her husband Javier as a Scout Master. It was perfect! Baptism was around the corner, and more than 1 occasion Hermana Bjork and I would dance to the car singing and talking excitedly of the possibilities. So with the holidays it was super hard to have another cita with them at a time that would work for both of us. So this week we decided to pop by unannounced. We excitedly greeted Rosa who answered the door and she welcomed us in. The next 20 minutes were 20 minutes of acute sadness and heartbreak. Right away Rosa proceeded to tell us that she and her husband wanted to stick to what they knew and only study the Bible. She said that her Jehovah's Witness Step daughter and reminded them of only adhering to the Bible and that all other books were an abomination. She picked up the 2 Book of Mormons and pamphlets we gave them and brought them to us. As she stood above us holding these books in her hands, I felt time freeze. It was a moment where she could choose to accept a message that would change her life or it was a moment where she could turn her back on the sweet spirit she felt and knew was true. As she handed the books to me, I literally felt my heart break. Why? Why did this wonderful woman and her darling husband decided to ignore the spirit of truth, joy, and blessings? I testified as well as I possibly could in Spanish and I prayed fervently for her in the lesson, but she was closed. I think she felt guilty because we looked at her as though she had just killed our puppy. We left in silence and when we were safely in the car, we both wept. We wept out of sorrow and out of grief for the loss of these beautiful people. I take comfort in the fact that maybe our job is simply to plant seeds. Perhaps she will open the Book of Mormon that we begged her to keep and find an answer that will change her life. I have faith in that. But for now all I can say is that it was one of the hardest moments of my mission and I know that I really love these people. 

Okay! On a lighter note! Hermana Bjork and I continued to eat our weight in tamales and pazole. I LOVE the Moreno Valley ward and I am so grateful for the darling members. Ahh they are so cute. 

I have noticed the funniest thing as we have been contacting out on the streets at night. A lot of men (and some women) like to get in their cars and do drugs with their buddies. It is hilarious because we will go by and (because we need to talk to everyone) will introduce ourselves and usually crazy responses follow. They are so high out of their minds, they cant think straight at all and they often say inappropriate things so we have to turn and book it. Some times they straight up yell to us that they are doing drugs and they need Jesus! Anyways,I just think it is such a weird idea to go sit in your car and get high like nobody knows... Of course we know you are smoking! We can see the cloud and smell it a block away! LOL....

Well folks. That is all for this week, besides working hard nothing much else has really happened. Hermana Bjork and I go through heck and back to reach the standard missionary goal every week and we are so blessed when we do it. I am grateful that we have goals to shoot for, they make it so much fun. I love you all and I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season. Take care and make this year a good one!
Love, 

Hermana Tobler


No comments:

Post a Comment