Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Merry Tamales!! 12/28/15

Hello Hello!

SO good to hear from so many of you this Christmas season. I hope that you all ate plenty of treats, spent time with your family, and remembered the birth of our Savior.

The best part of Christmas is definitely Christ. Hermana Bjork was asked to accompany the primary last Sunday and it was so fun. We basically sat behind the piano, played a couple songs, got fed a bunch of treats, and watched Mr. Kruger's Christmas. It was definitely the best Sunday. 

This season has been a season of many tamales... I decided that I am not a large fan of them and I am not ever going to eat another one on purpose. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day literally consisted of us visiting members and investigators, being fed way too much food, and given more tamales than we could possibly eat.  On Christmas night, Hermana Bjork and I counted over 50 tamales that the ward members gave to the "poor starving missionaries". Holy. 

One little experience this week happened on Christmas Day... Hermana Bjork and I went to visit an investigator who had begged us to come over and eat some of her tamales on Christmas. When we pulled up to her home, we were immediately greeted with the loud wailing trumpets of Mexican music. The whole block got a taste of it. Gotta love this culture. :) Once ushered inside, we talked an socialized with the 3 women present. Then, one of the women had a grand idea to introduce us to her sons. Ummmm..... So we went out in to the back yard where they showed us a huge bubbling pot of chicharron. Basically homemade Pork Rinds. My inner vegan fainted at the sight. What made it worse was that there was a large group of men standing by this large pot... all of whom were eyeing us very creepily. Hermana Bjork and I were then introduced to 2 drunk Guatemalan men who were probably in their late 20's. Each of them tenderly shook our hands. It was very very uncomfortable and Hermana Bjork and I got out as fast as we could. It took several Mo-Tab songs to help rinse the ugly feeling that lingered after the visit. Ugh. Everything else about Christmas was just dandy though! I love this holiday!

I absolutely loved
face timing my family this week, it was such a joy. The family who let us use their iPad's had a dog the size of a horse and he looked over my shoulder throughout the whole call to make sure I was being obedient. It was very nice...

Anyways! I hope you all have a wonderful week and prepare for the wonderful new year we have ahead of us. 
Stay Safe and God Speed. Xx.

Love, Hermana Tobler


No comments:

Post a Comment