Monday, October 26, 2015

Cannons, Honking, and Special K.. I'm not in Kansas anymore.


Hola Familia and Amigos!!

Wow it has been one crazy week here at the CCM- (Mexico MTC). 

I have no idea where I should start. 

First of all, Mexico is NOTHING like I have ever seen. Driving in Mexico city was one of the biggest overloads on my senses. People are everywhere, everything is FILTHY, and courteous driving is non-existent. I swear I had my hands clenched so tight through the entire drive. Imagine this... Hundreds of cars all traveling in one direction(it reminded me of a million ants trying to fit into one little hole), tiny narrow roads with no lane lines, people running in the street breathing fire and juggling kumquats, massive posters of underwear ads, grimy surfaces, dirty air, houses with matresses for walls, honking galore and no speed limits. Let's just say I was speechless. I am definitely not in Kansas anymore. 

BUT! The CCM is a whole different story. 80% Elders and 20% Hermanas... Absolutely gorgeous landscaping, gigantic palm trees, safe stone fences topped with razor wire, decent food (I will talk more about that later) and the SWEETEST people. Besides the background music of gunshots, cannons, sirens, and city noise, it feels like home. The water here is not safe to drink so all water is bottled or harvested from a special well the church owns. Everyone here is separated into districts, and there are 2-3 districts in a zone. There are 8 people in my district and I LOVE THEM!! Mi compenerra, Hermana Krumholz is absolutely amazing, and the rest of the district are literally my brothers. I don't think I have ever laughed as hard in my life. When you spend 16 hours a day studying Spanish, you tend to grow to love the people you work with. I am so blessed. Okay quick story... One of the Elders in my district is from Madison Florida, and he has one of the strongest southern accents I have heard. As part of learning Spanish right now, each companionship gets to work with an "investigator". For the past 9 days we have been teaching him the lessons IN SPANISH. (whoa!?) These guys who work with us are actually going to be our teachers later on and having us teach them is actually quite brilliant. Anyway, last night this southern Elder and his companion went to go teach Ignacio (our investigator, and yes I couldn't help but think of Nacho Libre) and made a quick baño stop. As they were deeply discussing their lesson, Elder Robinson walked into a stall, with unbuckled pants, and looked down to see one of the investigator teachers sitting on the toilet, cowering with his hands above his head!! Ah! The poor guy... Elder Robinson with his thick accent telling that story nearly sent me to the infirmary, I was dying. I am loving my people here and I am so grateful for that. I think that if I didn't love them so much I would fall apart because I miss everyone so much.

Spanish.... Spanish, Spanish, Spanish.... What a language. Our teachers here speak almost no English so you have to figure out what they are saying to survive. I have already learned so much and I can understand almost everything my teachers are saying and I learned so many words. My companion is so patient with me and helps me so much. She has had 4 years of Spanish so she is definitely the reason I am alive right now. I can now pray, read scriptures, and hold a very short conversation with someone. Let me tell you guys... The gift of tongues is real!!

The Mexico City Temple is an absolute dreammmm....If you have the chance, GO. I love it so much and I was so comforted to be there. I realized that it doesn't matter where you are, the church will always be the same.

Mexican food... My district is comprised of 6 elders and 2 hermanas, my testimony of young men having the biggest appetites has only increased. We started out loving the food but Hermana Krumholz and I are getting a little tired of beans, chicken, and tortillas. We usually end up eating a bowl of special K cereal and Nutella bread. (Bye bye diet). 

I only have one hour a week so please let me know how you are doing when you can. I will be on every Thursday in the afternoon. I love you all so much and hope you are well. The gospel is true and I am continually being blessed everyday by it. 

Love, Hermana Tobler




No comments:

Post a Comment